1) Does anyone remember seeing the advertisement at right? It’s an ad for the Sony Walkman and it appeared in Hot Press and a couple other Irish/UK music magazines/papers. Sony failed to get U2’s permission to use the Joshua Tree in the ad, and U2 was upset that the ad gave the appearance U2 and Sony were business partners, so they got Sony to pull the ad immediately. This is dripping with irony considering U2’s partnership with Apple for the iPod. 🙂
I’ve only been able to narrow the date of the ad to 1987 or 1988. Would love something more specific if possible.
2) In this interview/article on @U2, Bono mentions that Larry had recently attended a Michael Stipe photo exhibit in New York City. Given the date of the interview, the photo exhibit was probably April, 1998. But I can’t locate an exact date anywhere.
3) An old Rolling Stone clipping mentions that Edge and Adam attended the wedding of Mike Scott, singer in the Waterboys, to Irene Keogh. 1986 is about as close as I can get to a date, but it would be great to have the month or exact date.
4) When did U2 shoot the music video for “Two Hearts Beat As One” in Paris? One of my sources says it was March, 1983, but that seems impossible when you see their concert schedule for that month. They only had four days off!
5) In this 1986 article on @U2, Edge talks about going to Paris to see some of the Heroine film. (see the COLLABORATING sub-heading) He also says “Bono and Adam were on their way back from picking up some awards in Italy.” Earlier in the article, he mentions “it wasn’t until September last year” that he was able to start work on this soundtrack. So I’m guessing this meeting in Paris and the awards in Italy were around September, 1985. Except I have no information at all on any Italian awards U2 won at that time. Help???
6) Achtung Baby – the original version with Adam naked on the inner sleeve … was that covered up in all of N. America, or just in the USA?
7) More Achtung Baby — I found an article that says U2 showed up at HMV in Dublin for the midnight launch of album sales. Can anyone confirm that?
8.) Exact date that Bono and Edge (with Harry Crosbie) purchased the Clarence Hotel? I’ve narrowed it down to November, 1992, but would love an exact date.
9) Sometime around the PopMart opening in Las Vegas, Edge appeared on ABC’s “Good Morning America” and did the weather forecast. Was that on the 25th (the day of the opener), or the 26th (the day after)?
And here’s the list of previously mentioned dates/events I’m missing for U2 DIARY:
10) Exact date (or month) that U2 did their studio voicework for The Simpsons. This video on YouTube only says “1997” at the beginning.
11) Did Bono and Gary Kasparov ever have the chess match that Paul McGuinness won at a 1993 auction? Here’s the post on that question.
12) When was Dick Evans born? Where?
13) What was the exact date that Mt. Temple opened? (I’ve emailed their web site, but no reply.)